Remotely Shut Down Your PC from Mobile/PC Using Dropbox
If you forgot to shut down your PC when departing from your home or office and suddenly realized about that after traveling a long distance, you would return and then shut down your PC. To get rid from such situation you can use Dropbox to remotely shut down PC or notebook from Mobile Phone.
Here is the complete procedure for Windows 7 (Windows XP users can follow how to Remotely Shut Down Windows XP From Mobile Phone via Dropbox).
1. Your computer must be pre-installed with Dropbox. If not then install install Dropbox.
2. The computer should be connected with internet.
3. Internet enabled mobile phone e.g Android, iPhone, Nokia mobile phones etc.
4. A simple script to check for a file in your Dropbox folder. Download the zipped file and extract it at any location of your computer.
A small editing in the script
After extracting the zipped file you can see two files: 1. remote_shutdown.vbs 2. trigger.bat under the folder drsd.
Just right-click on the remote_shutdown.vbs file and select “Edit”. You will get the following code in your notepad editor or some thing else.
Dim fl1 Set fl1 = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") If (fl1.FileExists("your_dropbox_folder_path\secret_file.txt")) Then Dim oShell Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 'shutdown, wait for 5 seconds, force running apps to close oShell.Run "%comspec% /c shutdown /s /t 5 /f", , TRUE Msgbox "You will be shut down shortly" End If
Change the highlighted part with your Dropbox account path (Don’t remove the quotes). By default it should be
C:> Users> user_name> Documents>My Dropbox.After editing the line it should look like
If (file1.FileExists("C:\Users\user_name\Documents\My Dropbox
Save the file by pressing CTRL + S. You can change “secret_file” with some secret name. Actually, the above code will search for this file in your Dropbox folder. If it finds that, it will command the computer to shut down.
Setting your PC Task Scheduler for triggering the above batch file
1. Press Win key and type “task scheduler” at the search box. Right-click on “Task Scheduler” > select “Run as administrator”.
2. In the upcoming window click on “Create Task” from the right pane.
3. Give a reasonable name of the task and check the box to “Run with highest privileges”.
4. Head to the “Trigger” tab and click on “New..”. A pop up window will appear.
5. Now keep the “Begin the task:” option as “On a schedule”, choose the “Daily” button under Settings. At the starting time option, delay the time about 10 minutes. Under Advanced settings check the box to “Repeat task every: 5 minutes, for a duration of :Indefinitely” (Set the values from the drop down menu) and finally, click on OK.
6. Flip to “Action” tab and click on “New”. Set the “Action: Start a program”, at the “program/script” box locate the batch file trigger.bat) by clicking on the “Browse” button and click OK.
7. Finally, head to “Settings” tab and check the box to “Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed”.
8. Now click on OK.
Your computer is now completely configured. When you are outside and your computer is on and connected with the internet, just log-in to your Dropbox account from your mobile phone or any other computer, upload a text file with the same name as you specified earlier to Dropbox folder (secret_file.txt).
You are done! your computer will be shut down in next 5 minutes. An you will get detailed log at test.txt file in the same directory drds.
Note: Immediate after the next time of logging into your PC, delete the secret_file.txt from your Dropbox account, nevertheless your computer will again shut down. You can also build your schedule task settings as such a way, so that the task starts after a specific time every day.
** You can use Dropbox to start a program on pc using mobile.